Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Christmas is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, right?  But instead of being the most wonderful time of year it can become the most stressful time of year.  Between parties, shopping,  community, children's and church programs, cooking, traveling and dealing with in-laws and out-laws it's down right exhausting!  Even though it's only February, I want to help you be less stressed when Christmas rolls around again.  For that to happen we have to talk about it now. 


For our family, saving money weekly has alleviated so much stress at Christmas.  My husband's job offers a Christmas Club.  Each pay day a set amount of money, that we determine, is put into the Christmas Club account.  We never see the money so we don't miss it.  The bank even gives us a little extra money just for using the service.  It was $10 this past Christmas, which isn't a lot, but every little bit helps.  And it sure beats the absolutely pitiful interest rates for savings accounts right now. 


Even if your employer doesn't offer this option you can set up your own Christmas account.  Check with your bank to see if they have a Christmas Club.  If you can't find one then start your own.  It could be in a savings account, an envelope, a piggy bank or under your mattress.  Whatever works for you is fine.  The key is consistency.  We have 44 weeks left in the year.  If you commit $25 each week for Christmas you will have $1,100 by the end of the year!  Would that be helpful?  Knowing that you have the money when you need it will alleviate the stress of wondering where the money will come from and overburdening your credit cards, which can lead to a whole other added stress. 


Another thing I find helpful is purchasing gifts throughout the year.  If I see an item I know someone on my list will love or encounter a great bargain, I pick it up now.  It's less painful to the wallet to spread out purchases.  If someone on my gift list mentions something they want I make a note of it.  I like to make a note on my smart phone under that person's name.  One word of caution: remember where you put the items!  I have a certain place I always put gift items that I purchase in advance.  Otherwise, you could stress yourself trying to remember where you stashed those gifts. 


Although these are only two aspects of managing holiday stress, I have found them very effective.  I don't stress over the money we spend at Christmas.  And I never am wandering the stores on Christmas Eve because I have planned ahead.  A little planning now will make for a happier December!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment